Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Can I move just the database?

I want to move just the database to another database server (Both SQL Server 2000).

We tried just changing the reg key to point to the new database but I was getting an error like FogBugz couldn't find the database.  Changed it back, and it was all happy again.

Is there something in the license that hold the set up to the original database?  Or did we just do something wrong?

Thanks,
Shaun

Shaun Anderson
Monday, October 18, 2004

Make sure the FogBugz user owns the new FogBugz database.  It's likely a permissions issue.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, October 18, 2004

So it's not tied to the license key at all?

I'll have to check it tomorrow as the DBA has gone home for the night.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Shaun

Shaun Anderson
Monday, October 18, 2004

Nope.. the license is tied to where the app is installed, not the database.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, October 18, 2004

I checked the database, and the fogbugz user is set up as owner.

Any other ideas?

Shaun Anderson
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Try using the Site page in FogBugz to point it to the new database just to make sure you aren't introducing any typos in the connection string.

Since its on the other machine, you are using the DOMAIN account FogBugz correct?  Not the local account fogbugz... b/c if you are using integrated authentication and the local fogbugz account it won't work with IIS on one machine and SQL Server on another (since fogbugz on each machine is a separate account).

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

We tried using the page to change it, but it's still not working.

We are using the domain, so it's not local to the machine.

The error at the bottom of the page is:

Error: -2147217843: Login failed for user 'CALGARY\FogBUGZ'.

so we're still thinking that it's a permissions thing somewhere.

Shaun Anderson

Is CALGARY your domain?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

Yes

Shaun Anderson

You don't have a login correctly set up on the new database. You need to choose New Login in the Security node in Enterprise Mgr, make it use Windows auth, specify the domain,  specify the user name by clicking the "..." to do a lookup on the user to ensure that it can be found (don't just type in CALGARY\FogBUGZ), you can leave the server roles tab alone, and on the access tab select the FB db and check permit and then check db_owner below. If you're still having problems, send the entire connection string to tech support and they'll look into it further.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home