Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

BugzScout submits claim success, but vanish

Submitting two otherwise-identical crashes to scoutsubmit.asp -- ScoutUserName is the same, ScoutProject is the same, ScoutArea is the same, there seems to be something very peculiar where I have to do ...&&Description=... (notice two ampersands there), but only when Description contains certain substrings I'm still trying to track down.

If Description is, say, "Blah", then I only need one ampersand. If it's

Description=---%20Crash%20File%20---%0d%0aCrash%20at%200041A188%0d%0a

then I need two ampersands. Changing that slightly by removing the first hyphenated section,

Description=Crash%20at%200041A188%0d%0a

then I only need one ampersand any more.

The really annoying thing is that testing this stuff by manually submitting giant URLs to scoutsubmit.asp, I _always get Success_ back in the XML returned, even when it's failed.

Two questions, then:

1. What the heck is going on? I found a workaround, sure, but I'd like to know what it is about the first string that breaks ScoutSubmit.asp, and when exactly I'll need to use the extra-ampersand hack.

2. Why does it always return success, even when it's actually silently eaten my bug submission and thrown it into the ether?

Dan Mitchell
Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Sounds like you're using GET not POST. Set your form to
method="post"

Take a look at the source:
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/resources/scoutsample.html

Are you even using an HTML form to collect the information? Or just sending different URLs for testing purposes?

ScoutSubmit appends duplicates. When you say it's going into the ether, I suspect it's actually being appended to an existing case.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Frustratingly, I can't reproduce this even after some trying. I'd swear it was happening and I'm sure I was carefully tweaking things to not be duplicates (and using POST submit from code) but maybe I was just confused..

Dan Mitchell
Monday, October 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home