Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

User limitations and permissions

I know that the success of Fogbugz is that anyone can update anything - but - maybe a few configurable limitations would make it useful in more situations.

I'm an independent software developer and would like to use this web-based solution with my clients, however to do so I need some privacy, and other limits...

- allow users to be assigned to projects/areas which they can see, and the rest they can't see

- allow anyone to add comments to a case, but only the person who has been assigned a case can resolve it or assign it to someone else (unless they are admin, or the originator of course).  Otherwise we run the risk of losing stuff.

- only the originator of a case or an administrator should be able to close a case.

Flexibilty is great but if a customer has to complain twice of the same bug - just becuase someone "hit the wrong button" - it's just too risky.

Mark Plumpton
Sunday, October 03, 2004

Another idea would be to Auto-Subscribe the originator to any new bug they create. 

Mark Plumpton
Sunday, October 03, 2004

For an independent software vendor supporting projects for multiple customers, the ability to assign the customer to their specific projects is a must-have feature. We don't want one customer to see another customer's project and they don't want their issues to be seen by other customers either (case history and attachments may reveal confidential information about their business).

Also from what I read, I got the impression that we'll have to buy a license for every user at the customer's side whom we allow to report bugs because we can't make the project public and let the world see it. Or else they will have to call in or e-mail in their bug reports. Is it so? That is not cost effective and doesn't encourage as many bug reporters and bug reports as possible. I understand your pricing on the number of users on the software developer's side, but having to buy licenses for the customer's users is insane. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Thank you.

Harry Xue
Tuesday, October 12, 2004

1. We plan to address this user permissions issue in a future release. I don't have a release date yet.

2. This is a misconception. There is no option to "make a project public". You can set a project to allow public submissions, but this does not allow non-licensed users to view cases, all this means is that non-licensed users can use a simple web form to submit cases. They are presented a droplist of projects that are set to allow public submissions.

More details:
Anyone who needs to edit a case, see its status, or have a case assigned to them needs to have a license. You do not need a license in order to submit a case. This can be done either by sending an email to a FogBugz mailbox, or by bringing up FogBugz without being logged in and using the interface to submit a new case to a project for which the Admin has enabled "allow public submissions".

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/setup/ExternalCustomers.html

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/help/FeatureGuide.html#Mailboxes

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software

And to Mark - Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. It's always useful to hear what features FogBugz users want to see added. I’m passing your comments on to the development lead for consideration for future releases. Thanks!

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I will have to wait for the next version. The current program won't work for us because of this user permission issue. Even if I allow public submission on the projects, our customer's end users still won't be able to see the history of the cases they submitted or close their own cases after they receive a satisfying resolution, unless I make them fully licensed users. Our customer's IT manager won't be able to come and see a list of cases their end users submitted and their  statuses, unless I make him/her a fully licensed user. If I do make them a fully licensed user, then they are able to see cases for other customers. We can't allow that. Running multiple server instances is not an option. If we do that, our developers will then have to log into multiple places to resolve cases. They don't get to a see a master list of cases they need to work on.

I hope in the next version you will create a limited-access class of users with these rights: open cases, view cases, add comments, close their own cases -- all confined to the projects they have been assigned to. I also hope that you won't charge a license fee for these limited access users or charge a substantially lower license fee for these users we support.

Harry Xue

Thanks for the input, Harry! We'll take it under consideration.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, October 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home