Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Coverting to MySQL

We are just getting started with FogBUGZ, and I must say my initial impressions are very favorable!  We want to use MySQL for the DB, so we followed all of the migration instructions (with a few tweaks for datatype issues).  Finally, we managed to get FogBUGZ pointed in the right direction, so to speak, but now I'm running into an issue where it can't display the list of cases.  Here is the error.

File:  /FogBUGZ/util.asp 
Line:  480 
Error:  Variable uses an Automation type not supported in VBScript: 'TypeName' 
Browser:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) 
Number:  0x800A01CA 
Category:  Microsoft VBScript runtime 
Column:  -1 
QueryString:  pg=pgList 
URL:  /FogBUGZ/default.asp 
Content Length:  0 

I submitted this to FogBUGZ as well, but I was wondering if anyone has run in to this? 

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark Daley
Friday, October 01, 2004

Sounds like you need to upgrade the microsoft scripting on the server.  See http://www.microsoft.com/scripting

Then if that doesn't fix it, write a test file called test.vbs and put this in it..

WScript.echo WScript.version

Then execute it from the command line by typing cscript.exe test.vbs and find out what version of the scripting runtime is actually running.  If it doesn't match what you just installed, you'll have to hunt down the vbscript.dll's and find out why the wrong one is registered.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, October 01, 2004

OK, I performed all of the rituals listed above, to no avail.

Now, there is a little bit of a disconnect here, because FogBUGZ is pointing to a database on a different machine.  I installed the new scripting software on the machine hosting the web interface, and everything checked out per the above instructions.  Do I need to perform these tasks on the system with the DB?  If not, I'm ready for any sort of next steps I can take.

Thanks again.

Mark Daley
Friday, October 01, 2004

Can you post the results of the above test?  What version does it say you have?  Which OS are you running on?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, October 01, 2004

The script returned 5.6.

Running on Windows XP Professional SP 1.

Mark Daley
Friday, October 01, 2004

Well, we've changed a little bit.  We modified the connection string to reflect the options mentioned in the convesion document (we thought we had them, but overlooked this little detail).  Now the error has changed.

File:  /FogBUGZ/util.asp 
Line:  111 
Error:  Type mismatch: 'FormatDateTime' 
Browser:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) 
Number:  0x800A000D 
Category:  Microsoft VBScript runtime 
Column:  -1 
QueryString:  pg=pgList 
URL:  /FogBUGZ/default.asp 
Content Length:  0 

I feel like this is the point at which I make a phone call, but I will continue here until this dies out or resolves.  Thanks.

Mark Daley
Friday, October 01, 2004

It's basically complaining about function calls which exist in Scripting 5.6 which leads me to believe that scripting or IIS is not installed correctly.

Can you create a new virtual directory in IIS and make a test.asp with this in it:

<%
Dim s: s = "test"
response.write typename(s)
response.write formatdatetime(now())
%>

Does that work?  What if you move the test.asp file into the fogbugz virtual directory?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Saturday, October 02, 2004

The test.asp page worked fine from both virtual directories.  Here is the output from the FogBUGZ directory:

String10/4/2004 10:09:28 AM

I cut and pasted the code directly from your post.

Mark Daley
Monday, October 04, 2004

Have you looked in your mysql database to see if the data got imported correctly?

Are the date fields set to the correct date type?  (Check the bugevent table for the dt column, and also the FixFor table).

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, October 04, 2004

I installed FogBUGZ using the Access database option, then used the mysql.sql file to generate the tables in the new MySQL database, adjusting data types as necessary to match the Access database.

Currently, the two specific columns mentioned above are datetime types.

Mark Daley
Monday, October 04, 2004

Ok, send an email to customer-service.  We'll have to set up a remote debugging session to figure out what went wrong.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, October 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home