Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FogBUGZ 3.0 coming November 4, 2002

FogBUGZ 3.0 will be shipping on November 4, 2002! We haven't yet announced what all the new features are, but this is an incredibly major upgrade that gives FogBUGZ a world of new power that is actually easier to use.

FogBUGZ 3.0 is so much better than 2.0 that the list price will be higher. Of course, all existing FogBUGZ customers will be entitled to upgrade at a steep discount. And anybody who purchases FogBUGZ after August 24, 2002 will be entitled to a free upgrade. Yep, you heard me, free. So if you're thinking of buying FogBUGZ, do it quick, because this is your last chance to lock in those low 2.0 prices.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 26, 2002

>>Of course, all existing FogBUGZ customers will be entitled to upgrade at a steep discount. <<

Woo-Hoo!  Any chance you might be willing to hint at just how steep we're talking here?  Black diamond or green circle?

Cheap but loyal customer
Monday, August 26, 2002

"FogBUGZ 3.0 is so much better than 2.0 that the list price will be higher"

Oh dear )-: You've probably got sound reasons for doing this but that doesn't mean its necessarily a good idea.

We use fogbugz 'cos I was able to afford to pay for it out of my own pocket (I got the money back!). Not the first time I've done this either. Put the price up and you make it harder to get your foot in the door...

James Murphy
Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Any chance the feature list will be announced soon, as we are considering changing bug tracking systems now, but a major reason we are not considering FogBUGZ now is that it doesn't support adding custom fields.

Chris Bohn
Tuesday, September 03, 2002

How many custom fields would you need and how would you use them?

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, September 04, 2002

How many and how we use them depends; I haven't thoroughly reviewed FogBUGZ, but some initial thoughts:
- we want our bug categories to be general for ease to end users, but the bug becomes specific to a project in our build environment, so we want a field the bug caretaker can fill in to list the project name
- when we fix a bug, we want a field to list the name of the finished product and another field to list the finished product's build number
- we want a field to list dependent bugs
- we want customers to list versions of all our DLLs used, so we need a multi-line field for that

We also want to be able to modify the values of the Status field to fit the "workflow" of bugs at our company, and I'm not sure that is an option with your software either.

Chris Bohn
Wednesday, September 04, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home