Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Scaleing to 1000 users.

Does anyone have any experience with 1000 active users?
I am concerned about the login page and the assignment pages.
How well do the reports work with that many users?  We probably have approx 100 people who whould be assigned bugs per project.
If there is a whitepaper or documentation could someone give me a pointer to that?

Evaluating
Saturday, September 25, 2004

How much overlap do you have in your projects?
One possibility is to have multiple installs...

Also, dropdowns on windows are not so bad since you can type the first letter of the name to get to whatever item you need... Can't do this on the mac though.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Saturday, September 25, 2004

Michael, you can type the first letter in a drop down on Mac OS X with Safari (1.2.3), as long as you click it open first, I've just double checked.

Ian Jones
Sunday, September 26, 2004

Great care has been taken in the engineering of FogBugz to ensure that it can scale like this.

Generally speaking, the reporting will not be adversely affected, since the queries return a maximum of 500 records. There are many filtering options so that you can refine your searches such that you will not need more than 500 records in one report. And you always have the option of pointing another reporting tool at your FogBugz database, which is either MS SQL, MySQL, or MS Access.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Monday, September 27, 2004

FogBugz scalability is as good as anything SQL Server can handle. Terrabytes are reasonable. Our databases are well-indexed (and you can always tweak the indexes) so performance is never an issue. We keep attached files out of the database, in the file system, which improves performance too.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Monday, September 27, 2004

Dmitri,

This: "you will not need more than 500 records in one report" is an assumption based on you (fogcreek's) percieved patterns of usage and, like all assumptions made by developers, may not be valid in all instances.

Do I want to see > 500 bugs in my personal list? Probably not. But do I want to see everything created in the last week or month so I can look at statuses or for patterns? Quite possibly. Could that list exceed 500 items... possibly.

James Murphy
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

If you need more than 500 cases you can either change the source code or use an external tool:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/AccessReports.html

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/ExcelReports.html

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Not arguing about whether there's a work round - and from where I sit it would be more about reporting than management but that is, again, making assumptions (-;

Murph

James Murphy
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

On the subject of the dropdowns.  One of the big issues we have encountered in our web development was page size.  With 1000 names in a drop down the page can get big.  We implemented a popup(I know popups are considered evil now) to bring up a user search page.  I was hoping there was a similar option in FogBugz.  I know this is imposing a solution and I look forward to other people having cleaver alternatives to the page size and too many people with a name that starts with the same letter.

Even nicer would be something that is adaptive to me and presents a quick hits list and gives me a "browse" type option.  If the thing is an input box, web browsers do this with autocomplete.

There is quite a bit of overlap in the projects as many of the users are customer support.

Sorry for the rambling.

Evaluating

I have been experimenting with pivot tables and database access as suggested by FogBugz.  I think this is a really nice way to present the data to people who know excel and don't know SQL. 

I used this to explore the current bugs database we are using and was manipulation ~20,000 rows.  The performance was very good and the things I could do were very nice.

Evaluating

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home