Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dispatcho Configuration Question

Hello,
  We are starting to take advantage of using dispatcho and FogBugz to send reply e-mails from within a case.  This is great because it simplifies keeping all case related correspondence inside the case itself.  We like this feature, but we are concerned about one aspect of this and so I thought that I would post a question.  It appears that Dispatcho will enter a new case in FogBugz for any e-mail sent to the associated e-mail address irregardless of whether it is related to an existing case.  Thus, it seems that if we were to make our e-mail be available to the outside world, we would have a spam conduit into our tasks DB.  I realize that you can resolve a case as spam, but this still takes up engineer time and DB space inside the system.  This question I have is, "Can I configure the Dispatcho service to be able to use e-mail replying and case specific correspondence, but not allow it to add new cases to the DB".  It seems like conceptually this should be possible since emails referring to a previous case must have a case # in the subject line.  I just wanted to see if Dispatcho had the necessary configuration capability.  Please let me know if there is any information available on how to do this.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Wilcox
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

You could modify dispatcho.asp to do this, but then you would have to make sure that you had created a case for every correspondence that you wanted dispatcho.asp to track.

We'll be improving on this greatly in the next version.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

ahh...the next version.  Go on, give as clue as to when it coming :-).  Before end of 2004??

Andrew Jackson
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home