Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How to support Multiple Databases

Hi All.  I've been searching on the forum, but I can't find anything that discusses multiple databases. Let me explain.

We have lots of projects on the go. We've had to move  and split up our source control databases three times in the last few years becuase we are running out of space in the database.

If we switch to FogBugz, we anticipate the same problem. Our one SQL Server will get full in the future and we'll end up having to do something drastic and painful.

So, what we want to do is have one installation of Fogbugz, but let each project have it's own database.

Can we do that? Or would it be better to just have multiple installation of Fogbugz, each with it's own database?

Thanks
Chris

Chris Bruyere
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

You would have to make multiple installs of FB.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

And the licensing is unique per user, so if we have 60 people (therefore, 60 licenses) they could switch between the installations right?

Chris Bruyere

Correct.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

How do you fill a database?

My understanding was that the size limitations on a SQL Server database are obscene.

Curious?
Monday, September 27, 2004

I too am wondering if this approach is really necessary. SQL Server can handle terrabytes. Our databases are well-indexed (and you can always tweak the indexes) so performance is never an issue, and we have failsafes to prevent you from ever accidentally doing queries with 900,000 results. We keep attached files out of the database, in the file system, which improves performance too.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Monday, September 27, 2004

Could someone in FogCreek indicate if this is a feature that might be implemented in a future release of fogBUGz?

We too have the same problem; several partners share a major part of the software engine plus customised parts. We would like to be able to have issues relating to the common engine shared by all, and issues pertaining to each partner only visible to the individual partner.

We contemplate fiddling with the code ourselves (unless of course another fogBUGz user has already done so and is willing to share his solution), but if you at fogBUGz will be pleasing us with that feature in a (not to be disclosed) near future, we could consider waiting and be surprised ...

-t- · Tom Jacobs
Friday, October 01, 2004

Whilst the full version of SQL server has huge limits MSDE is rather more restrictive - although in terms of a fb database still big.

James Murphy
Friday, October 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home