Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Very slow response

I've installed Fogbugz on SQL Server and IIS 5 but it runs very slowly. I only have 50 bugs but sometimes get timeouts on the web page when requesting list of bugs. My SQL Server DBA says there is no problem with the database. I know nothing about IIS - can you please give me some clues where to start looking for the problem?

Graeme Hood
Monday, August 19, 2002

I'm going to try this on a more powerful web server - does it really require IIS 5.0 or will IIS 4.0 do?

Graeme Hood
Monday, August 19, 2002

You need IIS 5.0.

Sometimes you will see very slow behavior if you are running Netscape 4 on the same server that IIS is running on. If this is you -- try IE, or run Netscape 4 on another machine.

To help diagnose timing problems -- when a page takes a long time to load, View Source and scroll down to the very bottom. There's a comment there that will tell you how long it took to log onto the database and how long it took to build the page.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 19, 2002

By the way, you may be able to use IIS 4 instead of 5 if you install all the nifty things listed in our system requirements

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/faq.html#SystemRequirements

In particular VBScript 5.5 comes with IIS 5 but can be installed for IIS 4.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 19, 2002

Pages were taking >60 secs to build with 0 seconds to login to database.  I've moved the site to another server running IIS4 and VBScript 5.6 and it works fine now.
I've no idea what the problem was with the other server, but I'm happy now.
Thanks

Graeme Hood
Tuesday, August 20, 2002

In case anyone cares, I would like to confirm that FogBUGZ seems to run fine under NT 4 / IIS 4 as long as you meet all the rest of the system requirements listed at the link above.  We are even running ours on a particularly crappy old server and it works perfectly.

Tim Lara
Monday, August 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home