Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is Fogbugz suitable for an IT Helpdesk?

This product looks great for tracking bugs and projects but could it handle the numerous requests of an IT department?  Or would we be better off with a dedicated helpdesk solution that integrates Exchanger server a little better to handle large volumes of requests (ie.. virus outbreaks). 

Bryan Young
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I've written 3 custom systems and integrated 2 of those "solutions" for the helpdesk at various organizations. It really depends on the size of the helpdesk and the IT organization and the complexity of the issues. At the companies I worked for the systems had to generate emails to the assigned individuals when predefined triggers happened, had to track assets, had to accept auto generated tickets from Tivoli, it even had to be able to page people if an urgent ticket had not been updated in sufficient time. And that's just scratching the surface. It had to have sopisticated reporting capabilities and metrics for management on top of all that. Needless to say this system would be overkill for a 20 PC shop (and honestly it was overkill for the organizations I worked for, but management didn't understand that, nor did they understand why no one could ever quite use the tool right or document information in exactly the format they wanted).... So describe your environment just a little bit and maybe it would be easier to answer your question.

Eric Medlock
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Thanks for the reply.

Our environment consists of about a 1000 workstations in one building.  We have numerous daily requests ranging from busted servers to low toner.  We want to use Fogbugz and nothing else for our Helpdesk other than email which is where our original requests originate.  Would a standalone IT Helpdesk software package like Intuit's Track-It be better suited for this?

Bryan Young
Thursday, September 16, 2004

Sounds like you could use FogBugz just fine... You just need to set up a queue where incoming email comes in to a "NewRequest" user (you can use the built-in admin account for this, just rename it.  That account doesn't count against your licenses).  Then users can email in inquiries, FB will pull them in to the Inbox project and open them as NewRequest.  You can email the users back and it is all tracked in FogBugz.  Then you can assign the inquiries to your FB users to have them fix stuff.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, September 16, 2004

The problem I have with this is that the initial user is not notified of the case, at least that's how it appears.  It'd be nice if when an email for help arrived that the queried was opened by the FROM address.

John Stone
Thursday, September 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home