Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

We have implemented the BUGz system. I am interested in translating the software, but I am somewhat reluctant to meddle with the lang.asp file

What am I to translate and what not?
There are many strings enclosed in []s; should I change the enclosed part, or is that a string that is used by the system.
Are there restrictions for localised version? Can I use extended characters like ø, å, é or æ? How long can my translated string be? If there are two variables in an English string, like %1 and %2, can I swap their sequence, stating %2 and %1?

-t- · Tom Jacobs
Friday, September 03, 2004

[] goes around the part of the string that will become a link to something.
%1 and %2 are numbered so that yes, you can swap their order if the language necessitates.
You can use extended characters but you should save your file in UTF-8 format.

Save a copy of lang.asp just in case.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

For Linux: Case-status, Case-categorie and the Resolved-items can only be translated by adjusting the values in the database.
During the installation: Before performing install2.php, poke around in <FogBugz>/Accesoires/mysql.sql to change the standard values.

Translating after installing, do something like:
UPDATE Status SET sStatus = '<Translation>' WHERE sStatus = 'Active'; # For Case-status (also change variable fb_active in lang.php - value of fb_active is only printed when you define a new case)

UPDATE Status SET sStatus = '<Translation>' WHERE sStatus = 'Resolved (Fixed)'; #For Resolved-Items

UPDATE Category SET sCategory = '<Translation>' WHERE sCategory = 'Bug';#for Case-categorie (seems like vars fb_category_bug/feature/inquiry in lang.php are not used at all)

Gert

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home