Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New version...

So... we've been with Fog Bugz 3.0 for quite awhile now.  It works pretty good, but many of the things "on the feature request" list are greatly anticipated.

Shouldn't an update be around the corner by now? :)

-- David

David Whatley
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

We don't announce future release dates... sorry.

See http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/MouthWideShut.html

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Sure, I've read that.  Don't agree with it much, but that's neither here nor there.  My point is... a new version feels due.

The simplicisty of FogBugz is nice, but it falls short when trying to deal with a large inventory of open issues and so forth.  More tools to organize, and such.

And, since we pay a fair share of money for all our licenses.... I don't feel too unjustified in prodding for a fresh code drop. :)

-- David

David Whatley
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I second that !!!!

Adrie Bouwmeester
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Third :)

Michael Teper
Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Fourth ;)

Lloyd Newby
Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Fifth!

Furthermore, I 100% disagree with your policy on not setting release dates. The entire point of engineering is to innovate, to make better - we've had 3.0 for a long time now and while it more or less works, it falls short in a NUMBER of areas. This would be acceptable if I saw an effort on your part to innovate in response to the needs of your users.  I don't. Last time I talked to you, your biggest concern was porting FogbUGZ to Unix (seeing as how this is web-based... WHO CARES?) Did that even happen? It was a year ago..

Anyhow, seeing as how you partly upsell your contract on the promise for a "free upgrade" when 4.0 comes out, I think some idea as to when 4.0 is coming out and what's going to be in it is in order. You have not whispered a word in well over a year, and frankly, I get the feeling Joel is on a beach somewhere sipping a Pina Colada.

Let me put it this way. It's ridiculous to refuse to set expectations for fear of not meeting them. It's absurd to simply refuse to innovate. It's irresponsibile not to listen to your user base. Especially when you're dealing with engineers, who have a bit more understanding in this process. Do what other companies do, man... release a tentative release date, with a tentative feature list - set the expectation that it may change. At least then we, your user base, feel as though we're with a growing product, and that our needs are being heard in a constant attempt to stay on pace.

Cuz otherwise, I'm about 2 days from going to OnTime (thye have releases a bit more often than every 18 months).

By the way - this really is a very good piece of software - just so you know.

Andrew Ryan
Wednesday, September 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home