Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Closing resolved bug.

In my configuration of FogBUGZ ANYONE can close the bug. This behaviour is not very good. Bug should be closed only by person who opened it.

Is this by design or I am missing somenthing.

JaSikor
Friday, August 02, 2002

It is by design; FogBUGZ assumes a certain amount of trust.

The person that opened the bug WILL get an email when the bug is resolved; when they go to look at the bug and see that the wrong person has closed it they can reopen it and/or go yell at that person.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 02, 2002

Any chance to change that behaviour? Maybe some setting?

In Your classic "Painless Bug Tracking" you say: "The golden rule is that only the person who opened the bug can close the bug."

JaSikor
Monday, August 05, 2002

That golden rule certainly has merit, but in the application I envision using FogBugz for, my chief problem is even getting users to enter bugs.  To hold bugs open while someone chases down the user to check a 'complete' box just won't work well.  Best answer may be a configuation variable that allows 'anyone' to close a bug or 'only the bug initiator'... more complex but perhaps better than a one size fits all solution

Dave Starr
Sunday, August 18, 2002

We follow the golden rule by convention and only allow the original requestor to close it. To gently remind them, we send out a weekly reminder to people about bugs they opened that have been resolved but not closed. Here's the sql proc, if you are interested. We just run this and email out to the users.

CREATE Procedure spCheckOpenResolved as BEGIN

select
    b.ixBug                'Bug ID',
    convert(CHAR(10),e.dt,101)    'Date Resolved',
    p.sFullName            'Opened By',
    s.sStatus            'Status',
    'http://develop/bugs/editbug.asp?command=view&ixBug=' + convert(varchar(6), b.ixBug) 'Link'
from
    Bug b
    left join Status s on b.ixStatus=s.ixStatus
    left join Person p on b.ixPersonOpenedBy=p.ixPerson
    left join CurrentBugEvents e on b.ixBug=e.ixBug
where
    b.ixStatus > 1  -- 1=ACTIVE, all others =RESOLVED-%
    and b.fOpen=1
order by
    b.ixPersonOpenedBy, 'Date Resolved'
END
GO