Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Required fields on New Case

Sometimes we have people that enter a new case and forget to put in a title.  This makes it real difficult to figure out the issue without actually opening it.  Is there any way to make the Title field required when entering a new case?  If not I'd like to request this type of functionality.

Lance Johnson
Friday, August 13, 2004

Thanks for the feedback.  We resist having any *required* fields because it makes entering bugs harder.  A program having to add a title to a bug is much better than having someone else not enter the bug because they got the screen that says "You must enter a title (and a release and an assignee etc.)" or because enter bugs has gotten too difficult.

Currently after a user submits the bug we remind them that they did not enter a title with a big yellow warning note.  It's pretty hard to miss...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, August 13, 2004

Plus which, even if it was required, probably a fair number of the titles would be useless anyway because people would enter titles like "Strange Bug."

While you, I, and the fence post might roll our eyes at that, it happens. Just look at the list of post titles on any forum of your choice.

A lot of people have a hard time "naming" things, or, at least, naming things well. (This is one reason why the position of headline writer is more highly regarded in the publishing biz than we might expect.)

Lanie
Saturday, August 14, 2004

Lanie's right.

Used to use a god-awful bug tracking package that required a "title", "short-description" and "long description".  People would just cut and paste between the fields.

Friends of mine work at a company that uses Lotus Notes for e-mail. It requires a subject to send an e-mail. I get lots of e-mails that have subjects like, "asdfdsf" and "subject" and "lotus notes made me type this". It's pretty funny.

Mark S
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Lance, the original poster said:

> Sometimes we have people that enter a new case and
> forget to put in a title.

Sounds like your problem lies with the people, not the software. ;-)

Get a big coffee can with a plastic top. Cut a hole in the top and put a label on it, "Dev & QA Pizza Fund". Anybody who enters a case without a title (or any other information that you want to deem as required) must put $5 into the can, while the rest of the team cheers him on with applause.

That should hopefully correct the behavior of the perpetrators, and provide for some fun as well.

Mark S
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Mark -
Thank you for the feature request. We will include a honkin big coffee can in a future release!

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

To developers. Try to place the title box _after_ case description...

Peter A
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home