Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Can't send attachments

This had been working for quite some time, and then last week it started failing.

90% of the time that I use the Reply function in FogBUGZ and attach a file, I receive the following error message:

There was an error with your request. Please fix the problem described below and hit back to resubmit your request.
Error sending mail to: xxx@yyy.com The connection has been dropped because of a network failure or because the peer system failed to respond. Also caused when Connect, Send, Receive, Fill or Close methods are used with a Timeout parameter and the operation fails to complete within the specified number of milliseconds.

Please tell me what causes this, how I can increase the timeout, or some other way to solve it.  It is extremely annoying because if you hit the back button, you've lost everything you just typed. :(

My attachments are between 150K and 1MB.  Like I said above, this used to work with no problems.

Tim Norman
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

After this failed a few times, whenever I try again, I get the following error:

Error sending mail to: xxx@yyy.comUnable to open file: C:\Program Files\FogBUGZ\FileUploads\PTunesSP-debug.zip

Sure enough, that file doesn't exist.  I attached it to my reply.

Tim

Tim Norman
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

These KB articles are related to your problem:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/trouble/UploadGhosts.html

Also, some other things to consider are that you may have virus protection software installed on the FogBUGZ server which is preventing IIS from writing ZIP files to disk.  Disable all virus software and try again.

One other thought also may be that number #2 here got screwed up somehow:
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/trouble/CaseNumbers.html

(I assume you are using windows FB because the path you typed had c: in it... let me know if I'm wrong.)

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Changing the user permissions seemed to fix both problems, though I'm not confident that the timeout problem is really fixed.  It has been intermittent, so I expect that it may happen again...

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Tim Norman
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Can you turn on logging on your SMTP server?  Usually that timeout/socket closed error is a symptom of something else, but if it is actually timing out, you will be able to see on your smtp server.

I suspect though that this is related to virus protection software on the server.  I've seen Norton and Symantec basically BLOCK mail sending and it just hangs if they don't like the attachment you put in.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, August 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home