Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Hacked off by "Delete inquiries after" feature

We've been using fogbugz for about 6 months and extended use to an off-site customer services team who submitted issues to development by email. 

We have just discoved that some cases are being deleted and traced it to the "Delete inquiries after" in mailbox settings.  Its now been turned off but we have already lost a load of bug history information which I assume is not recoverable?  Its very annoying.  Whoever thought of having this turned ON by default.  Crazy!

We use SourceSafe integration so our change logs refer to cases that no longer appear in fogbugz.  We have a month old SQL DB backup but I assume there is no way to import lost items back into the system with the same ID so we can keep the integrity with SourceSafe?

Andrew Jackson
Monday, August 02, 2004

It's NOT on by default!  When you create a new mailbox it should be set to nothing.

Unfortunately it's a nonreversible action as it does actually delete inquiries that are resolved and closed.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, August 02, 2004

You could reimport the cases, but it would be tricky...

You would have to change the ixbug and ixbugevent columns in Bug and BugEvent to be just regular numbers and not identity fields (so it would allow you to do an insert with a specific bug number)... and then turn it back into an identity field.  I've never done this except in access so I don't know how it works in SQL server.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, August 02, 2004

Try using SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON to allow explicit values to be inserted into the identity column of a table.

Paul J. Mills
Thursday, August 05, 2004

Could we have "deleted" items send to an "archive" table so there is some comeback if the DELETE option is turned on by mistake?

Andrew Jackson
Thursday, August 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home