Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

User groups

See also http://discuss.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3774

I thought I read somewhere in the help about how to have user groups, but I can't find it now.

As a new feature request, I'd like the software to support user groups. Specifically, if for example there are two programmers who can fix bugs in a given area, I'd like to be able to define a user group which contains both users, and assign a new bug to the group instead of to a specific user.

Then, if I'm a member of a group, then a filter for bugs assigned to me should also return all bugs assigned to my group. Similarly, a filter for all bugs assigned to my group should also return all bugs assigned to any member of that group.

Christopher Wells
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

This is really what projects are for.  We believe that only one person should ever be responsible for a bug (otherwise no one is responsible, since the responsibility is diffused).  Think of a bug as a hot potato that can be passed around.  If you want many people to watch a bug, then assign it to a specific project and tell your developers to monitor that project.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I'd think of it as two people being responsible (like allowing multiple checkouts in a source code version control: some teams like it, some don't, so if the tool permits both then ...).

Philosophy aside, a different useful feature might be to let me to type a custom WHERE clause in an "Advanced filter" edit box of the "Filter" screen ... so that I could type something like:

(user='Chris' or user='Mike') and (priority='1 - Must Fix')

I realise that this feature might be DB-dependent, and look ugly, and that using Access or Excel to make a report is some kind of work-around. A problem with using Access/Excel is, I take it, that I need other-than-simple-HTTP access to the machine which contains the FogBugz installation (and we're a distributed team: FogBugz is behind a remote firewall, so to get at it I'd need to use VPN ... I'd prefer to use the Web interface).

Christopher Wells
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home