Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email Attachments

Where does Dispatcho/FogBUGZ store the physical email attachments? The email is no longer in the inbox, I can't find it on the we server or in the database. Thanks.

Ryan Wood
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

The entire source of the email is stored in the database.  You probably just need to change your filter to include all open inquiries.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

OUCH! That's going to hurt. We've been running a beta with 2 (one of which is a reporting queue that receives a lot of excel attachments) of our 30+ internal email request queues. I didn't realize that the attachments were stored in the DB. Our db is already up to 4.5 GB after only 2 weeks.

I assume, since the attachments are simply embedded in the email, that there is really no way to purge them after a length of time.

It would be nice if you broke out the attachments as Binary fields in a separate attachments table. That way you (or I) could actually manage them.

Hopefully this won't kill the project, but it does provide a huge limitation using FogBUGZ. Any suggestions to lessen the blow?

Ryan Wood
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

It would also be nice if you could disable a mailbox rather than having to completely delete it.

Ryan Wood
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

If you don't want the inquiries around, then just have fogbugz delete old inquiries for that project (It is a setting on the mailboxes screen).

It's the same space if you saved them on disk, so I'm not sure I see the problem with putting them into the database as a raw message.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

(btw, nothing is every really deleted in FB.  Mailboxes should still be around but not shown in the UI -- like projects -- using an fDeleted flag in the database.  Unfortunately, this was an oversight in the current release and they do get deleted... but this will be fixed in the future).

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home