Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recommended Update: DartMail.dll

We recommend that all users of FogBugz for Windows get the latest version of DartMail.dll.

This applies in particular if you are running FogBugz on Windows 2003.

Please read on:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/setup/Dartupdate.html

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Friday, July 23, 2004

Is there a way for registered users to be notified by email of things like this?

Chris
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I installed this on Windows 2000 Server w/ SP4, and it killed retrieving mail. I just uninstalled it and will be testing it to see if that helped. Any ideas?

Matt Hawley
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Uninstalled & restarted, still nothing. Any help?

Matt Hawley
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I have the same problem. Also, when I click on any case that has an attachment, I get an internal error: "The CreateObject of '(null)' caused exception C0000005".

We can't view any of those cases.

Ryan Wood
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

I'm not having the CreateObject problem. Did you uninstall like me? Also, I did run "register.bat" in the utilities directory to see if that would help, but no beans.

Matt Hawley
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

It sounds like the Fogbugz user account has lost permissions as a result of the install.

It needs permissions on the Fogbugz folder, that's related to the createObject error.

Also run register.bat to register the dart DLL and restart IIS.

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/errors/CreateObject.html

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/SetPermissions.html

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

After re-running "register.bat", restarting IIS, and then rebooting, all is well again. I don't plan on installing that Dart update again, though.

Matt Hawley
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

But you didn't do all that before uninstalling, correct? I believe that would have fixed the initial problem after the update.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Should we be worried about the registration?

Matt Hawley
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

That seemed to work, but it looks like the register just re-registers the DLLs in the accessories folder, which I believe are the older versions since the installer installs the new versions into the system32 directory.

Matt Hawley
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Yes, that is correct.  The update does put them into system32.

You do not need to run register.bat after installing the update.

You only need to
1) stop iis and dispatcho (So the Dart DLLs are no longer in use)
2) install the update (which will regsvr32 the DLLs in system32 when it installs)
3) restart IIS and Dispatcho

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

You may want to add that to the page with the updater because I didn't realize I needed to do that. I will uninstall and follow those instructions. Thanks!

Matt Hawley
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Yes, sorry about the confusion, I just did exactly that a moment ago.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

What is wrong with the current install of Dart? Security hole? Memory leak? Email is not broken for us so i'm hesitant to fix it, seeing all the problems people just had...

Jonathan Newton
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

For one of our customers during mail import it would just unexpectedly crash if there were a bunch of messages in the mailbox ( > 100 ).  Updating to the latest DLL solved the problem.

If everything is working peachy for you, then this isn't really required.  We just wanted to let people know in case they wanted to be "up to date".

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, July 27, 2004

If after the update, you get a message that your Dart license has expired:

Log into FogBugz as an admin, and click the Site link in the top right.  Submit that page (you don't have to change anything).  It will rewrite the licenses to your registry.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Monday, September 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home