Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email with authentication

Folks,

I've just purchased FogBUGZ and love what I see, but, as my SMTP server requires authentication, I'm outta luck on the email front.  Could anybody give me a pointer as to how to get FB to authenticate when it tries to send mail?

~ j.

John Barnette
Monday, July 22, 2002

The mail sending code is fairly isolated and should be easy to change.  The only question is what to change it to...
I suspect that CDONTS will let you send authenticated SMTP messages, but I can't find out for sure.  There is a LogonSMTP method to the library but it doesn't take a username and password...

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, July 22, 2002

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=CDONTS+authentication&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=OCQX%23SIfAHA.1256%40tkmsftngp03&rnum=11

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, July 22, 2002

Thanks for the research.  I brute-forced the solution by having the bug machine's IP explicitly allowed without authentication.

John Barnette
Wednesday, July 24, 2002

I am having this exact problem I think.  I have set up an email address for  FogBugz on our external mail server, and email to this go into the database great.

The problem is that when I try to reply to messages from within FogBugz, I get:

Error sending mail to: "so and so" A error occured in the protocol.

I've traced out the SMTP connection using the cmd window as described here:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/kb/trouble/Troubleshootingemailnotif.html

and I keep getting the 550 error (not a gateway) that indicates the SMTP server refuses to act as a mail relay (in order to prevent spammers from hijacking the server).  I've contacted our ISP and they won't set it up so that it allows mail-relaying from a known IP address.

So my question:  has there been any progress in figuring out how to use FogBugz to send email using authenticated SMTP?
Thanks

Eric Jacobsen
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I've fixed my problem by upgrading my FogBugz software from 3.0.13 to 3.1.7.  They've added SMTP authentication for outgoing email.  I've added my username and password to the Site setup page.

Thanks Michael,

Eric Jacobsen
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home