Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

VSS integration on Unix

Hi.

I've been reading the documentation for how to setup VSS integration from within FogBUGZ but I can't find the specified script file in my Accessories folder. I'm wonding wheter I can get VSS integration to work even though I'm running FogBUGZ for Unix.

My setup: FogBUGZ runs on my Unix server. I run VSS on my local machine. I have no Windows server to run VSS and FogBUGZ on.

Regards,
Henrik Jernevad

Henrik Jernevad
Thursday, July 22, 2004

The two pieces to the puzzle for VSS are

1. the script which goes through the journal and updates fogbugz to let it know about what was checked in

2. the asp page which pulls the vss files out and shows you the diffs for them

The problem here is that even if you had 1, which I can send to you, you wouldn't be able to do 2.  #2 is written in ASP because it uses VSS COM objects to do the checkouts and diffs.  In order to have a web interface to the VSS diffs you would have to install FogBugz on the machine with VSS on it...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, July 22, 2004

But it would in other words be possible to get a one-way link? I'm more interested in being able to enter comments when I check in my files and they turn up in FogBUGZ than being able to read the logs/diffs from FogBUGZ.

Henrik Jernevad
Thursday, July 22, 2004

And furthermore, would I be able to install #2 on my local Windows machine (where VSS runs) and run it on IIS? Will the asp file need the actual database, or can I just enter the url to the asp file on my local machine in the FogBUGZ source control integration settings?

Henrik Jernevad
Thursday, July 22, 2004

I've sent you the two files.

You can put #2 on your local machine, but it won't be that simple.  If you look through the asp you'll see it is looking for the VSS user and password from the registry under HKLM\Software\Fog Creek Software\FogBugz\[path to fogbugz install with \ converted to /]\VSSUser

Let me know if you need more help...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Just a note:

" I'm more interested in being able to enter comments when I check in my files"

FB doesn't store your VSS checkin log comments... it just shows you the files you changed for that bug.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Thank for the help.

Actually, I was under the impression that FB stored the checkin comments, although "only" being able to see which files has been updated is helpful too.

Do you think it is possible to make FB do it? The journal file does contain the comments, so it should be possible I think. Would this be anything that I could do?

Henrik Jernevad
Thursday, July 22, 2004

You could def. do it...

We're thinking about this for a future release though too, so if you modify the source, just be prepared that it may not jive with how we implement it.

One way is you could submit the comments through to cvsSubmit.asp and fb could store them as a bugevent in the bug table.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, July 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home