Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email polling 'stuck' on particular case

We have an issue where one case  is 'stuck' in the email polling of FogBugz.  When I mean stuck, I mean that every time FogBugz trys to connect to our exchange server, it keeps detecting an existing email as new.  So every time it polls the email, it treats it as a new case.  We now have over 400 cases of the same exact email/issue and we have been forced to stop our FogBugz service until a resolution is found.

The details about this particular case initially was that it was a request including an excel spreadsheet attachment.  I'm not sure if the spreadsheet is the culprit for the limbo in the email polling, but we have the initial email/case repeated again over 400 times.

What is the best way to resolve this and have you encountered this before?

Thanks.

Austin Harris
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

This can happen if your POP3 server times out while Dispatcho is publishing the message to FogBugz.  Then when Dispatcho finishes publishing the message to FogBugz it goes to delete the message from the POP3 server, but the server has timed out so it cannot be deleted.  Then dispatcho reconnects and starts over again.  I've only seen this once before.  Timeouts on the web server side are already handled by Dispatcho.

See http://www.fogcreek.com/fogbugz/KB/howto/EnableLogWin.html

Enable that and then check that Dispatcho logfile to see what is going on.  Also look to see if your POP3 server logs show Dispatcho getting cut off.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home