Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How do you tell what build a bug was fixed in

FogBugz appears to assume that when I make a fix, it magically propagates everywhere.  Sadly, that is not the case.  I have to do a "build" that is then given to "QA".

The question is, how does QA know what bugs are fixed in the build they are currently testing? 

A previous bug tracking system I used (PVCS)  had a "Fixed in Build" field.  QA could then filter their bug list on all items fixed in a specific build number (or earlier). 

Using Bugzilla, the process we use currently is to reassign all resolved bugs to QA when a build is delivered to them.  Far less elegant than a "fixed in build" field, but it works.

FogBugz appears to support neither reassigning multiple bugs at a time nor a "Fixed in Build" field.  So... what is the FogBugz recommended process?  I could add some text to each comment indicating what build a fix is in, but there would be no easy way to filter on "all bugs fixed in build xxx or earlier".

I would think that dealing with builds is an issue that everyone would face.  My apologies if this is a question with an obvious answer, but I searched the discussions and help files and found no answer.

Matthew Henry
Monday, July 19, 2004

Hrm.. we do nightly builds here, so a bug fixed today should be visibly fixed tomorrow.

I'm not sure how others do it, but this is (oddly) the first time I've come across this request.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, July 19, 2004

At  our company, we don't do nightly builds at all. QA might spend a week thoroughly testing a build before we give them the next build.    I don't think that is *that* unusual, I certainly know of other companies that do the same thing. 

At my last job, where we DID do nightly builds, one QA person might be assigned to thoroughly test a single build over the course of two or more days.  So, of course, it was important to know what build  a bug was fixed in.

And even if you did nightly builds and QA always grabbed the latest build every morning, it seems like it would be handy for QA to know that when I fix a bug at noon, that fix is not in the build they grabbed this morning.  (ok, granted they could look at the date/time it was resolved, but why not make it easy?).

Matthew Henry
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Bugzilla provides a way to do this with their custom templates (see http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.16/html/cust-templates.html#AEN1709 ) -- would be great if FogBUGZ could handle this too at some point.

Ken M.
Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Since we weren't using the "Fix For" field, we hijacked that and now that's the "Fixed In" field =).

asdf
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I'd like to vote for at build number field too. Also because it is very useful for testing to be able to tell everyone else  what build contains the verified fix.

Allan Hansen
Friday, September 03, 2004

So, is there any resolution to this problem? Our organization does nearly the same thing (Mathew's).

Is there a work around or anything?

Thanks
Chris

Chris Bruyere
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home