Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

FB and ZoneAlarm together

If Zone Alarm is on FB runs like treacle. Gifs are very slow to load, if atall. The status bar says 'unknown zone'.

If ZA is off everything OK, FB fast, Status Bar says local intranet.

All this on the same machine, XP/IIS/mdb datafile.

Anybody else running the 2 together?

Mike

Mike MacSween
Thursday, July 15, 2004

With zone alarm on the client or the server?

Maybe try adding FB to your trusted sites.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, July 15, 2004

Everything running on one machine. I've tried adding it to my trusted sites, but whenever I do the 'lookup' bit of ZA it can't find it. I've tried every way of identifying FB I can think of:

http://mmlap01 (which is the machine it's running on and what appears in the address bar when I start FB)
http://127.0.0.1
http://localstart

etc. etc.

I actually think it's a ZA setting somewhere, blowed if I can find it.

In fact I just now went through ZA and turned everything to 'off' but left it running. You'd have thought that was the same as not having it running, certainly there were enough warnings. FB started, slowly, and pages opened slowly, though on some of them the gifs never got there.

Then shut down ZA, restarted FB and all snappy and perky again.

The thing that makes me think this is ZA is that I'm sure it didn't do this before an 'update' was issued. C'est La Vie.

I'm behind NAT, so I guess I can run it without the firewall

Mike MacSween
Thursday, July 15, 2004

OK, just in (the unlikely) case that anybody else has problems with this, it seems that Zone Alarm 5 is the cause. Go back to 4.5.

There's plenty of stuff on the ZA site. I don't know why it was causing problems but it was.

Mike MacSween
Thursday, July 15, 2004

I'm having similar problems.  I must turn off
Zone Alarm if I want to stay logged into
Fogbugz.  If I don't close down Zone Alarm,
every request to do something results in a
fresh request to "Logon".  It appears I can
either close down Zone Alarm (and defeat the
purpose of this application) or keep typing my
logon information ... :-(

(I just tried to post this message with Zone
Alarm activated ... but it failed to reach the
external site.  I've tried all manner of "fixes",
but have been unable to create a Zone Alarm
setting that will work.  Here we go with Zone Alarm off ...)

Jim WALTON
Thursday, July 15, 2004

Zone Alarm isn't allowing cookies to be set if you keep getting the logon screen.  Not sure how to enable that, but that's what "kicks" you off...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, July 15, 2004

Having problems with our own product and ZoneAlarm also and trying to figure out how to handle them. Again, we're trying to access things locally as well.

I use a hardware router/firewall. $40. Isn't this generally better than using a software firewall?

XP sp2 should be fine I hear. I believe that I've heard that ZoneAlarm is going to be providing the firewall capabilities into XP. Should be fun for all of us. ;-)

Mark S
Sunday, July 18, 2004

> XP sp2 should be fine I hear...

I mean to say, "should be fun", and I meant that with a hint of sarcasm. I'm not looking forward to dealing with issues caused by sp2 and the tightening of security that they're doing.

Mark S
Sunday, July 18, 2004

We did just see a case where installing a recent XP patch broke Fogbugz, and reinstalling MDAC 2.8 fixed the problem, something to keep in mind ahead of the game.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Monday, July 19, 2004

After installing ZoneAlarm v5, I ran into problems running ANY localhost site.  It took a while to figure this out because simply shutting ZoneAlarm down would do nothing.  Only a complete uninstall fixed things.  After getting no contact from a few requests for support, I am a paying customer, too.  I ultimately was so pissed off at them I dropped their product altogether and moved to a competitor's product.

Wade Winningham
Saturday, July 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home