Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

super huge bug length

I went on vacation and set up an autoreply. The fogbugz change notifications have a valid reply address that appends to the bug. So, for a full week, if anyone modified any of my bugs or assigned a new one to me, fogbugz would send out a message to my account. My autoreply responded and then fogbugz would append that autoreply and then sent out another modification notification.

That happened for a full week! Now, for each of those bugs, it takes something like 5 minutes to open up the bug!

Is there a way to view a bug without seeing the replies? I need to copy all those bugs into new ones without the super long reply history.

Geoff Fortytwo
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Unfortunately the only way to do this is in the db itself.
You could look for all bugs with more than say 20 bugevents...

SELECT count(*) as n from BugEvent group by ixBug order by n desc

(or is it order by count(*) desc)?

FB 3.1.9 (and maybe earlier) should warn you about setting your mailbox to the same as one of your users, and the From address in FB should just be a dead mailbox so people use the web interface instead of replying to notifications.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Just for the sake of being thorough here, for posterity:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/setup/OutofOffice.html

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Would it be possible to add an option to only notify me by email when someone *else* updates the bug? 

Presumably I know when I update a bug, and don't need an email telling me what I just did.  This would have the side effect of ending the auto-reply loop, although you'd still get one extra auto-reply message every time someone else updated the bug.

Kevin
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

There already is that exact no-self-notification rule.

In this case, the thing is, "you" didn't do it. An email was received, that's all FB knows. The above rule applies to things that you do when you are logged in.

So, we'll take your post as a request that FB check that email and say "oh I know who that is". Thanks for the feedback!

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

This has been very useful to me:

/* delete undeliverable emails*/
delete from bugEvent where fEmail = 1 and s like '%Subject: Undeliverable%'

/* delete auto-replies */
delete from bugEvent where fEmail = 1 and s like '%Subject: Out of Office AutoRe
ply%'

/* delete emails sent as html instead of plain text */
delete from bugEvent where s like '%DOCTYPE HTML%'

/* delete silly virus and spam messages */
delete from bugEvent where s like '%An email has been blocked%'

Steve Brown
Monday, August 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home