Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Unable to install FogBugz (SID)

Hello all,

I am trying to install FogBugz on our Windows 2003 server.

Have successfully installed the application, but cannot get my licenses to install themselves when running the application.

When I submit email address and order id, I get a 404 error on default.asp.

Have enable logging in the registry, and now get a page asking for my SID when I try to submit my license request.

Have looked in the knowledge base for "SID" and this appears to be a known issue. It says to do a "man sethostid". Thats not going to get me far on a Windows box.

Have searched Google for sethostid from a MS perpestive and have gotten no where.

Anybody know how to solve this?

Kind regards,
Matt

Matt Caton
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Still cant solve this, but found this link

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=91439

Where Joel mentions that its not always possible to get the SID of a machine.

I therefore assume that our machine is one of those for which the SID cannot be retrieved? If so, what next?

Regards,
Matt

Matt Caton
Thursday, June 24, 2004

The gethostid thing is only for the Linux version.

Every Windows box has a SID, so I think your problem stems from something else.  Send us an email so we can check to see that your licenses are correct.  Also,  when you submit the license screen it redirects you to your own machine to finish the installation.  It may be that your machine thinks that it is called www.foo.com but when you go to that url, it doesn't work, which is why you get the 404 error.  To figure out where to redirect you, we ask the IIS server what it's URL is and use that info.  Look at the URL when you get the 404... Is it correct?

Look in the Licenses table in your database.  If you have entries in there, delete them all.  Then restart your IIS server from the Internet Services Manager control panel (right click, all tasks, restart IIS).

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Hi Michael,

Problem solved .... URL scan was blocking asp extensions even when configured not to.

New problem though.... during debug Ive gone and used my license activation up. Can you reset this for me? Ive emailed you my details.

Thanks

Matt Caton
Thursday, June 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home