Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

User Access to projects

Hi,

Is there any way of restricting named users to only be able to access certain projects (even better if they can't even see projects they can't access)?

Martin

Martin Ross
Friday, June 11, 2004

Currently, these are your options:
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/setup/ExternalCustomers.html

But the feature you specifically are asking about will be available in the next version.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, June 11, 2004

"But the feature you specifically are asking about will be available in the next version."

Oops.  I thought that FGS policy was against saying things like that. 

Of course, as apparently the single most often asked about feature, it seems inevitable that if FC ever release anything again, and that anything is FB, then it would have that feature. 

But tsk, tsk, anyway.  We saw you.

Bilbo
Friday, June 11, 2004

The issue in this thread is a showstopper for me right now.  Let me describe our setup, in case you are interested in supporting needs like ours.  We have about 175-200 users, on a home-grown, but never-maintained system and we need a better one.

We have multiple clients on-site.  Each client has its own set of operations people (suits, etc.) who are responsible for entering and tracking cases.  We also have separate development/infrastructure groups.  Let's call them Web and Legacy (there are actually about a dozen).

The ops people need to be able to enter and follow cases for their client (project), but no others.  Resolvers in the Web group need to be able to view all cases assigned to the group, across any number of projects.

I can find no way to accomplish this in FogBUGZ.  Multiple, separate databases is not an option, since resolvers must have access to all their cases, across all clients, on one screen (not negotiable).  I tried using areas, but there seems to be no way to filter based on common areas across projects.  This one feature alone would solve the issue entirely: provide a way to filter for multiple combinations of Project/Area/whatever-else.  That way, a Legacy developer could filter for Client1/Legacy, Client2/Legacy, Client3/Legacy, etc., and Web folks could filter for Client1/Web, Client4/Web and so on.

You've mentioned something is coming in the next release.  Does it include this level of filtering control?  Any way to select multiple choices in a particular option (e.g. more than one project)?  Do you allow multiple sub-choices across non-common parents (e.g. multiple areas across certain/all projects)?  This kind of UI is hard to do, I know - I develop and maintain one in-house.  Its power and usefulness is hard to beat, though...

Thanks for considering this.

Russ

Russ Southern
Thursday, July 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home