Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Multiple Instances/Synchronization

I am trying to figure out if FogBugz can accomodate the following situation.  I work with a small team of developers on projects where we have to go offline for short periods of time (1-10 days).  Teams working on projects are generally 1-5 developers.

Ideally, we would set up a "Primary" installation of Fogbugz on our Internet Web Server for access by connected developers and clients with replicas on portable machines that could go offline but use the local database while disconnected.  Upon returning from their disconnected trip, they would synchronize their installation with the Primary.  For the most part, while disconnected they would not be stepping on each other's toes with data, so conflicts would be very infrequent.

Is there a way to accomplish this?  How?

Thanks for any info....

Nathan Schultz
Thursday, June 10, 2004

It would have to be done on a lower level, at the database level.  SQL Server synchronization might work, I'm not sure.  Unfortunately I think it would be rather complicated to implement.  Try searching for "access synchronization" or "sql server synchronization".  Any general tool that lets you merge data from two databases with the same schema would get you started... the only problem is primary and foreign keys...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, June 10, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home