Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Question about FogBugz e-mail and cases

Hello,
  We have an e-mail address set up so that we can send and receive e-mails regarding a case using Dispatcho.  This works great for cases created by scoutSubmit.  However for manually created cases, there is no way, that I can discern, to associate an e-mail address.  If we could do this, we would be able to use this feature for user reply's on these non-scoutSubmitted cases(we often get bug reports through e-mails from our customer support && they don't have direct access to our FogBugz DB).  I have a couple of questions.  First is this possible (associating an e-mail address to a non scoutSubmitted case)?  Second, if I were to say, send an e-mail from a standard e-mail client, like Outlook, with the return address being the one set up for Dispatcho && noting the manually created case id in the Subject line, would this e-mail be correctly added to the case (since manually created cases don't seem to display all of the same attributes as cases created by scoutSubmit).

Bryan Wilcox
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

First:
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/howto/StartEmail.html

As for your second question, yes. If the email reply goes to your FB mailbox address it will be pulled into FB. If the subject of that email has a case number in the form (Case 12345)  it will be appended to that case.

What fields are different on scout cases aside from the scout fields?

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I guess I was primarily thinking of the scout fields on the "display" of the bug, but I was also thinking that the user "e-mail" is set by scout, which you cannot do when you are manually creating a case.  This e-mail is displayed in the case created by scout, but not in the data fields above it.

Bryan Wilcox
Wednesday, June 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home