Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

dispatcho and international characters

dispatcho doesn't seem to check incoming message encoding so if it isn't composed in unicode it just displays rubbish in web interface and sends rubbish to subscribers.

Anton Baranenko
Monday, May 24, 2004

Are you on non-english windows?  Or have you set your Unicode preferences to use another language as the default language?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, May 24, 2004

I'm on english w2k and my locale is non-english, true. Has it something to do with it?

Anton Baranenko
Monday, May 24, 2004

On WinXP in the Regional and Language Options control panel, on the advanced tab, under "Language for non-Unicode programs", is that set to something other than english?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, May 24, 2004

it's windows 2000, there is no such tab, it first appeared on windows xp. It seems to just leave message text as it is, but treat it as being unicode and there is no code that processes encoding in dispatcho.asp as far as I understand it.

Anton Baranenko
Monday, May 24, 2004

That's right, we don't change the encoding anywhere, just when we display it.

When you are sending msgs, and they don't show up correctly, which characters are you typing?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Monday, May 24, 2004

I'm typing russian characters. But there are several encodings in which I can type russian characters. some of them are: windows-1251, koi8-r, koi8-u, utf8 of course. The problem is that if I send the message in other encoding that utf8 confirmation email is sent incorrectly, and if I send in other encoding than other data already stored in database, the issue is saved incorrectly.

Anton Baranenko
Monday, May 24, 2004

Just the subject, or the entire body of the message also?

I'll try to repro here.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

try this:

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:04:52 +0300
From: =?koi8-u?B?4c7Uz84g4sHSwc7FzsvP?= <antoshka@asbase.kiev.ua>
Reply-To: =?koi8-u?B?4c7Uz84g4sHSwc7FzsvP?= <antoshka@asbase.kiev.ua>
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Message-ID: <1837352742.20040524130452@asbase.kiev.ua>
To: roundup@asbase.kiev.ua
Subject: =?koi8-u?B?1MXT1CDS1dPTy8nIIMLVy9c=?=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=koi8-u
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Hello FogBUGZ,

ÔÅÓÔÉÒÕÅÍ ÒÕÓÓËÉÅ ÂÕË×Ù × ÆÏÇÂÁÇÚÅ

Anton Baranenko
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Please send an email to support for this if you need further support. Include the original email with Russian chars.

https://shop.fogcreek.com/support

Thanks,
Dmitri

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, June 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home