Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dispatcho leaving mail on server

We have an issue here wherein dispatcho appears to leaving mail on our POP3 server.  This just started happening this morning and (to the best of my knowledge) nobody has modified anything, changed permissions, etc. 

Any clues on what might be causing this?  I've turned the dispatcho logging ON (dispatcho.txt), and nothing of signfigance stands out.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

A.D. Kent
Thursday, May 13, 2004

All mail or just mail with a big attachment?  You probably need to up your timeout value on your asp pages in IIS...

Check out http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/KB/trouble/DispatchoProblemsWin.html

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, May 13, 2004

All mail, however, the first in the LIST is about 8mb or so.  I'm not clear on how increasing IIS timeout values would affect the dispatcho service, however.  What am I missing?

A.D. Kent
Friday, May 14, 2004

What does the log file say?  Clear it out and just let it run through the mailbox once so it isn't 200 pages long, and paste the relevant error here...

The reason the timeout matters is because dispatcho has to make a ~8MB HTTP post with your email message in it to your web server so FogBugz can add the email to your database.  If you are using mySQL then it could be a mySQL setting, otherwise, it is probably an ASP timeout issue.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, May 14, 2004

Just to follow-up, it was indeed the single LARGE message that was causing the problem.  As soon as we DELEted the message from the server, everything else has been fine. 

A.D. Kent
Thursday, May 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home