Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Localized versions of ScoutMsg

Hello,
  We are looking at intergrating automated error reporting via ScoutSubmit.asp into the next release of our software.  Our primary PC application is localized in 8 different languages other than English.  So, when I get the "Default" message for an autosubmitted error, it should be localized, since the message will exist in the application's resources.  I have two questions.  First, will passing a localized string for a Default message to scout submit result in getting the exact same message back for display to the user (what I am specifically looking for is that none of the non-English characters in the message will be converted to something different by the code in the ASP)?  Second, and most important, is it possible to provide localized ScoutMsg's in case we want to provide a different message for the user with instructions for that specific error message.  I don't see a Language parameter for the ASP page and don't see any mechanism for entering a ScoutMsg in more than one language.  If this is not available is it something that could be considered for an upgrade in a future release of the product?  It will just seem to be an odd user experience for a customer to be using a Spanish or Chinese version of an application and have it fail and then get back an English text message telling them to go to a specific Internet location and download a patch.

Bryan Wilcox
Friday, May 07, 2004

There currently isn't a built in way to do this, but that being said, a minor modification in your scoutsubmit.asp page could accomplish it.

So, the default msg will always be returned intact.  I'll have to check on the unicode translation part, but either way, you could probably call unicodeclean on it before it is returned and it should come back right.

The only problem is if you enter a msg in FogBugz, how do you get it to show the right text to the user.  The only way I could think of is to do something like
English:Restart your browser|Spanish:Re-empieza el navigador
Pardon my Spanish, but you get the idea.  Then have scoutsubmit.asp parse our ScoutMsgs that come from the database making a hash.  Add your own new Scout parameter which is the language and check Request("ScoutLang") to return the right error.

The only problem I see with this is the limit on the text size for the ScoutMsg.

I'll beef this up for the next version though, although I can't give you any details on when that will be released.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Sunday, May 09, 2004

Seems to me that a "language ID" field in the Users table could help here.
Chris
(trying out fogBUGZ as a replacement for A-Ware 2000)

Christopher J. Erdal
Wednesday, August 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home