Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

BUG - Total estimated time includes CLOSED cases

When looking at a filtered view of cases, in either List View or Grid View, the value shown for 'Total Estimated Time' includes cases which are 'Closed'.

Admittedly, there is a value in the estimate remaining field, but developers easily forget that they have to clear the estimate field when they finish a piece of work.

It would be better from a project manager's point of view if 'Closed' cases were excluded from the 'Total Estimated Time', so that it gives a better estimate of work left outstanding.

David Dilworth
Thursday, April 22, 2004

I agree!  This has always been an irritation of mine with FogBUGZ.

Jonathan Blocksom
Thursday, April 22, 2004

What if you un-check " Include: [ ] Closed Cases" on the filter page?

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, April 22, 2004

Yes, the total is correct, but I can't see the 'Closed' cases.

The filtered view I have is for a particular 'Release', therefore I want to see all cases in the Release and have an estimate of how much work is left outstanding to do.

The fact that I can see 'Closed' cases in the list is fine, because it means I know how much work in the Release has already been completed. 

I agree that as a workaround to get my estimate I can temporarily turn off the viewing of the 'Closed' cases from the filter page, but I think the better way for this functionality to work would be for the 'Closed' cases to be ignored in the total at the bottom.

David Dilworth
Friday, April 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home