Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Survival of Source code changes after update

I'm the support manager, but don't have access to the FB source code (I'm not a coder). There are a few modifications I would like our programmers to make to the source code to suit the way we use FB, but our production manager says this will become problematic whenever you guys roll out a new version. The new version will overwrite any changes we make.

I see his point, we would have to re-apply our changes with each FB rollout.

Has anyone grappled with this particular issue? Is there a way (following a FB version upgrade) to somehow preserve or perhaps easily reapply the source code mod's we might previously have made?

Tony Schick
Thursday, April 22, 2004

We're in the same position.  We haven't automated a solution to-date, but we've deliberately put large comment blocks around the code we've added/changed.  This makes it easy for us to identify the code differences (using MS VSS to do the comparisons) when we get an upgrade.

David Dilworth
Thursday, April 22, 2004

I made large changes to FB myself. I put the entire source under version control (CVS, Subversion, ...) , just like one does for regular software.

Re-applying my modifications to a new FB version is then done automatically by the version control software. It only takes about five minutes.

- Daniel

Daniel Gehriger
Thursday, April 22, 2004

What he said :)

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, April 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home