Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

.NET Version?

Are you planning to upgrade FogBUGZ to ASP.net? If so, what is your timeline? Just curious.

Ryan Wood
Thursday, April 08, 2004

We have no plans right now for a .Net version.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, April 08, 2004

That's too bad, it looks like ASP.NET community has something that might kick your ass if you're not careful.

http://www.asp.net/StarterKits/WhitePapers/Issue%20Tracker%20Whitepaper.htm

Still in beta...but anybody who wants to extend the source
might get a .NET application that can mimic FogBugz.

John R. Troy
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Our.NetStrategy.html

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I read that article, but I thought Joel had more recently become disillusioned on the technology because of the CLR.

Has polling been done to see how many people are using .NET on the server?  I can understand not using this for CityDesk, but usually people with web servers keep those things up-to-date.

Will be interested in seeing the Secret Project...

John R. Troy
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

There are already any number of free bug trackers but we paid up for fogbugz anyway...

Murph
Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Yeah, I think FogBugz is priced really fairly.  I just like the noticable execution speed increase I get with ASP.NET as opposed to Classic ASP.

John R. Troy
Wednesday, April 14, 2004

fog creek have two huge issues in moving fogbugz from "classic" to .NET - firstly it ain't broken and secondly they have a magic incantation to take their ASP solution and turn it into an equvialent php solution.

If they were to choose to go to .NET then they not only have to migrate the existing app (lots to take advantage of otherwise what's the point?) but in order to provide similar cross platform support they'd then also have to go off into unknown territory in the shape of getting the app to run via the tools provided by the Mono project on non-windows boxes.

I don't think that the .NET runtime is as much of an issue on a windows server as it is in the case of a forms app like CityDesk but I do think that getting the equivalent mono stuff running on an apache box is liable to be far more of an issue.

Of course there's more too it than that - a nice webservices interface allowing me to run a fogbugz desktop app in my tray would be nice and should be relatively straightforward with .NET given that one can run the same code on both client and server (for example).

But for now I'm happy just to ahve a too that works well (-:

Murph
Thursday, April 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home