Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Feature Request: Copy filters between users

I've got a whole load of filters set up for myself. I would like to be able to copy these and make them available to other users without them having to set them up for themselves.

I suppose I could do this in the database directly, but I can't see which field assigns a filter to the user that set it up.

Ian Howlett
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Yeh, just copy the row in the Filter table and change the ixPerson to the person you want to "give" the filter to.

Look in the Person table for that id.

Look at sFilterName, that's what shows up on your Filter page in FB.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Copying a row is easy in Access; is there a simple way to copy a row in SQL Server? Something like

insert into Filter select * from Filter where ixFilter = 323

doesn't work because the select returns the ixFilter column, which can't be set because it's an identity column.

Thanks!

David Thompson
Thursday, April 08, 2004

SQL Server these days is as easy to use as Access: in Ent. Manager just highlight the row, hit ctrl-c to copy, then highlight the bottom blank row and hit ctrl-v to paste. It leaves the identity column blank until you exit the row.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, April 08, 2004

In case anyone is curious, writing an insert statement of the form "insert into Filter select * from Filter where ixFilter = 323" works just fine, but you have to specify all of the columns to copy in your insert and select statements.  Then you leave out the Identity columns, since they will set themselves.

Phibian
Thursday, April 15, 2004

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to add possibility of having some filters globally defined? Administrator can define some filters used more often then the others as global and they should be merged with custom filters of each user in the list of available filters. This is at least what we need.

Yuriy Solodkyy
Wednesday, May 12, 2004

I agree. There are some filters that I think are sensible for most people to have. Perhaps they should come as standard?

Ian Howlett
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home