Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Documentation of history/changes

Using FogBUGZ for maintaining bugs and features is great. But what about documenting changes of the software-project for endusers?

Often not only bugs are killed or features are implemented, - also the programmers do some other changes.

For this, everyone (I think) will maintain a "changelog", "history" or something like that, where the changes of every new version are exactly described.

What kind of tools are you using for doing this job? I'm looking for a solution that can be combined with FogBUGZ.

BTW: For source-control we use FreeVCS, which is great, too.  Here we can describe changes to individual source files, but I don't think, this is the right approach for documenting changes for enduser, so I'm looking for an other kind of solution.

Georg Ledermann
Wednesday, March 24, 2004

I wrote a SQL query that queried the fogbugz database to show me all of the bugs closed in a particular timeframe. Then every release I run it and look at the bugs/features that I fixed, and create a short changelog based off of that.

I'd really like to be able to sort the bugs in a filter by date of open, date of resolve, and date of close.  Don't even need date range support, but that would help.

Andrew Hurst
Wednesday, March 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home