Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Send a notification e-mail to a second person

Folks,

When we enter a new case, at times, it would be very helpful to assign it to one person, but also send a notification e-mail about the case being added to a second and third person involved.

I don't want to change the basic "one case is always assigned to one person" dogma - but how about being able to notify additional users when you enter (or change) a case??

Sure, once it's added, they could subscribe to it via e-mail - but they might not know that it was added, if it's not being assigned to them........

Marc Scheuner
Thursday, March 11, 2004

Hear hear!

I also like the "hot potato" concept, but would also like to notify other people of a bug.

Gil Tayar
Thursday, March 11, 2004

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. I've added your comments to our own internal FogBUGZ, for consideration for future releases.

For now what you can do is assign it to ancillary person 1, then ancillary person 2, and then the person who should be actually responsible for it. This sends out automatic notifications to persons 1 and 2.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, March 11, 2004

Agreed.  Its the one (and so far only!) thing I miss from using Bugzilla.

Alternate solution might be to allow users to be auto-subsribed to all bugs added against a particular project.  That way I can decide which bugs to be copied on rather than relying on someone to always remeber to cc me!

Andrew Jackson
Friday, March 12, 2004

I'd extend the previous request (allow a user to subscribe to a particular project) to allow a user to subscribe to a project or a projact/area combination.

In other words, my team might be responsible for several project areas but not all project areas. I want to see e-mails related to my team's areas.

Craig Eddy
Saturday, March 13, 2004

>>I'd extend the previous request (allow a user to
>>subscribe to a particular project) to allow a user to
>>subscribe to a project or a projact/area combination.

And while we're at it, throw in the category and priority, too - I'd like to automatically subscribe to all new *bugs* in Project A, area A1, with a priority of at least 5.

Otherwise you might get swamped with tons of little details which you're really not interested in...

Marc Scheuner
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

The initial request was covered here:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3220&ixReplies=2

Thomas Stache
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I might add that at that link you will find someone with a solution.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I would also be very interested in this solution when it becomes available.  This functionality would be greatly appreciated.  Please let me know the status as it becomes available.

Brian McCleary
Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Yes, this is one of my biggest complaints with FogBugz.  Email management is too dumbed down for our needs.

Lee Grissom
Wednesday, March 31, 2004

We implemented a trigger on the bug table so that every time somone logs a bug OR changes a bug all the people defined in the trigger get an update email.

In SQL manager
- Right click on the bug table
- Choose all Tasks - > Manage triggers

CREATE TRIGGER [AutoSubscribe] ON [dbo].[Bug]
FOR INSERT
AS
DECLARE @BugNumber INT
SELECT @BugNumber=(SELECT MAX(ixBug) FROM Bug)

/* Specific User - Repeat for each user required*/
INSERT INTO [dbo].[Subscriptions]
(ixPerson,ixBug)
VALUES
(5, @BugNumber)
/* the first number is the value from the ixPerson column in the Person table of the user */

Adam White
Thursday, June 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home