Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Descending order of comments

The comments of a case are sorted by date ascending so the newest comment is placed at the bottom.  But instead I would like to see the newest commend on the top.

Is it possible to change the ordering? Remember: I don't mean the ordering of cases, I know they can be changed with the filter. I'm talking about the ordering of comments in a case...

Georg Ledermann
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

p.p.s. you can use ctrl+end to go to the bottom of any web page

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

p.s. it might have been in a .sig, but I can't find it...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

You can modify this in the source, by removing the word DESC from cbugeventlist.asp.  This makes the conversation flow very hard to read if you are someone who isn't familiar with the case already... and even if you are, if someone has posted multiple comments you have to read them upside down. 

For this and the reasons I mention below, it won't be added as a feature, but you can certainly make the change yourself in the source.

I saw a funny web page that had this conversation listed in the reverse order making a joke about trying to read that way... It was funny, but I can't seem to find it now :(

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Georg;

I tried this with our FogBUGZ installation, and it's horrible. Don't go there.

A. Top posters.
Q. What's the worst thing about usenet?

Andrew Lighten
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Thank you very much for your answers. Yes, I know how to handle my browser and I know the shortcuts. But if the newest comment would be on the top, everybody can see if there is something new. I the new comment is only at the bottom you have ALWAYS to go to the bottom only to see IF there is something new.

Nevertheless, you are right that reading the conversation is more eays with ascending comments.

I'm new to FogBugz and currently playing with the trial. I will see if you are right in the near future ;-)

BTW: In weblogs the descending order is usual.

Georg Ledermann
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

> For this and the reasons I mention below, it won't be
> added as a feature, but you can certainly make the
> change yourself in the source.

Surely if this was presented as a config option then users could do what they want. Someone elses "dumb behaviour" / "dumb feature" is someone elses Nirvana.

Give your users the option to configure this and you would not be having this discussion. (This was also a feature request of mine)

--Donovan

Donovan J. Edye
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Or, even better, right in line have a link/combo that allows you to set the bug the way you want it at runtime.

Sometimes, you want to see one way, sometimes the other. It'd be great to be able to make a decision yourself, rather than having FogBUGZ make a "we know better" decision because -- sometimes -- "we" don't.

Dave Nanian
Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Comments ascending? I don't think so. Here is a test thread (actual content deleted). I pasted the date/time stamp lines in the order in which they appear in the case thread. the order of these seems to be somewhat random.

- Charlie

Edited by Unassigned 03/12/04 (Today) 6:05 PM
Closed by Charlie Bailey 03/12/04 (Today) 6:23 PM
Opened by Unassigned 03/12/04 (Today) 5:54 PM
Assigned to Unassigned by Unassigned 03/12/04 (Today) 5:54 PM
Replied by Charlie Bailey 03/12/04 (Today) 6:26 PM
Assigned to Charlie Bailey by Charlie Bailey 03/12/04 (Today) 5:57 PM
Edited by Charlie Bailey 03/12/04 (Today) 6:06 PM
Resolved (Responded) by Charlie Bailey 03/12/04 (Today) 6:19 PM
Assigned to Charlie Bailey by Charlie Bailey 03/12/04 (Today) 6:22 PM
Replied by Charlie Bailey 03/12/04 (Today) 6:02 PM

Charlie Bailey
Friday, March 12, 2004

I agree with Donovan.

Just make it configurable and let's move on.  There are many people (including myself) that would like this feature.

If you are worried about it confusing someone then put it in "Advanced Configuration".

Jonathan Cogley
Saturday, April 17, 2004

For anyone still viewing this thread who wants to pursue this, the above source mod instructions are inaccurate.

Find this line in CBugEventList.asp:

Public Function Load( ixBug, bOrderAscending )

On the line below it, add this line:

bOrderAscending = False

That'll do it!

That file handles all "cases", whether bug or inquiry or feature. This change does not require restarting IIS.

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, October 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home