Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SubVersion Integration

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed here, but as SubVersion seems to be the flavour of the week, I thought I'd see if I could get FogBugz source-control integration working with it.

And I've basically succeeded, so if anyone's interested they could get in touch.

It's a batch file + VBS solution, rather than Perl.

Will
Wednesday, March 03, 2004

I've switched to using Subversion, so I'd be interested in that!

Wade Winningham
Thursday, March 04, 2004

Yes, us too.  We're considering moving also... How was the transition?  (I assume you moved from CVS?)

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Thursday, March 04, 2004

I actually mainly use VSS (as a one-man company, the main problem with VSS is not an issue) at the moment.

However I do run CVS for stuff which 'externally collaborative', but it does always feel slighlty cobbled together, though TortoiseCVS is pretty good nowadays.

SVN somehow feels more solidly put together, without such an accretion of historical crap.  TortoiseSVN is not nearly as mature as it's CVS cousin, and I feel more inclined to go to the command line at times than I did with CVS.

I'm currently running svnserve on a WinXP machine, with IIS/WebSVN for the web interface to it.  ViewCVS is probably better and works with SVN as well.

I don't have enough running time to really comment on how good it is overall.

I'll put the integration stuff up on a webpage somewhere and post a link to it.

Will
Thursday, March 04, 2004

Right.  The files are in:

http://www.indcomp.co.uk/fog/SvnFogInteg1.zip

There are two files in this zip, put them both in the 'hooks' directory of your SVN repository. 

Edit the batch file so that it contains the right path to the repository.  (If someone can be bothered to come up with a good way to avoid this, I'd be interested...)

Edit the .VBS file so that it contains the right server/path for FogBugz.

The rest of the FogBugz integration is much the same as for any other VCS.

Please let me know of any improvements/bugfixes/plans to include this in any other distribution...

Will
Friday, March 05, 2004

This is really encouraging. Is there some way to get the VBS translated to PHP, at least as a debuggable start? (The demand for integration with Subversion for Mac OS X will be high.)

Thanks

Terrence Talbot
Monday, March 08, 2004

The VBS isn't something which is run by the web-server - it's invoked by SubVersion itself when a commit is finished.

You probably want it converted to Perl or Python rather than PHP.

I 'produced' the VBS by modifying the FC-provided version for CVS.  You might well be able to do the same with the Perl version, which I think they also provide.

Not a very helpful answer, I know. Sorry.

Will
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

I'm running Subversion on Linux and would also be interested in a Python port of that script.  Does anybody know if one already exists or is in progress?

Ian Olsen
Saturday, March 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home