Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SQL-Server upgrade problem

Preface: I know little about SQL Server 2000. I used to know Sybase like the back of my hand, so I'm reasonably familiar with a lot of the concepts in SQL Server. Just don't quite know where to find stuff (yet).

My problem: When I import data (using the helpful instructions in the FogBUGZ online knowledge base) everything works fine except for one little thing.

When I try and import the BugEvents table, it fails at row 4838. I deleted row 4838, even though it looked like it was fine. When I imported again it still failed at this same row.

I think this is a SQL server issue rather than a data content issue. Both the database and transaction logs have 64MB allocated to them. There are no events being written into the server logs. When the import task fails, it lets me double-click on the row to see what failed. Its description of the failure is a very helpful "Unspecified error".

Any ideas?

Andrew Lighten
Friday, February 27, 2004

I solved this problem by splitting the table in half in Access, then pulling the two halves in individually.

I'd still like to know what limit I was bumping up against...

Andrew Lighten
Friday, February 27, 2004

I had the same problem importing from Access to Sql Server.  I found out that it was an empty space at the end of a character field on the Access side.  I did an Rtrim and Ltrim on the field transformation and was able to load.

N A Griffin
Tuesday, May 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home