Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Reassigning when resolving

In your tutorial, you write - "So by default, FogBUGZ assigns resolved bugs back to the person who opened them."

How can I change the default? Let's say a _developer_ found the bug (yes, that happens!), but the person who needs to check it (i.e. the one that takes it from resolve to either reactivate or close) is the QA person.

Yes, I know I can do it in two steps:
1. Resolve
2. Reassign.

But what I really want is for the lead developer for the project to do _two_assigns: one for who is assigned to fix the bug and the one who is assigned to check it (which by default is the one who opened it, as you rightly put in)

Gil Tayar
Saturday, February 21, 2004

I would love to see this functionality aswell.  This has been on my list of requests for a while.

Andrew Marshall
Thursday, February 26, 2004

Any response from FogCreek?

Gil Tayar
Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Me Too! Me Too!

Ivan
Thursday, March 11, 2004

Yes, this would be very useful for my company too.

Ian Howlett
Friday, April 02, 2004

I'm not sure I'm clear on your idea. You want FB to automatically, when the case is resolved, assign the case to the the person who's job it is to fix it as well as the person who opened it, right?

The person who's job it is to fix it can just subscribe to the case, and they'll be notified by auto email when it is resolved, and the person who opened it of course already gets the assignment. (Isn't the person who's job it is to fix it going to be the person who resolves it?)

Or, the person who resolves it can as you say resolve and reassign. You would like FB to assign it to 2 people in succession? I just want to make sure I've got it clear. If that's the short and long of it, thanks to all of you for taking the time to make your interest in this clear, I've made a note of this, we appreciate knowing what users want to see added next. Thanks!

Dmitri
Fog Creek Software
Friday, April 02, 2004

Here's the scenario that I currently use as a developer:

1. I click the "resolve" button and enter my notes. Then click OK.
2. I click the "reassign" button and choose the name of a software tester from the dropdown list, so that she can check my work.

What I want to be able to do is have that dropdown list of users appear on the "resolve" screen, so that I can enter my resolution notes AND reassign the case back to the software tester all on the same screen.

This doesn't actually provide any new functionality, it just streamlines the workflow.

Although given that my own work flow and probably a lot of other people's involves always assigning an issue back to the person who raised it when setting the status to resolved, maybe there should be an option in the product to automatically do this.

Ian.

Ian Howlett
Saturday, April 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home