Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Ignoring inbound email based on subject

Which .asp file actually creates a new case from incoming email? I use spam assasin to add a tag to email it considers spam and I would like to modify the code so that it does not create a case for email that was considered spam. Alternately, I would like to modify the code the retreives the messages from the pop server to ingore them.

Keith Bingham
Thursday, February 19, 2004

It's dispatcho.asp

I've never played with that stuff, but it looks like it would be pretty straightforward to have it throw mail with specific tagged subject lines on to the floor.

There's already some stuff in there about checking for a specific fogbugs tags in the subject line and adding the message to an existing bug. 

I would copy that and use it to abandon the processing of the message.

Search for re.Execute in dispatcho.asp

Will

Yes, you have to change dispatcho.asp, since the POP retrieval code is all compiled.

Like Will said, if it meets your criteria just ignore it (you don't have to actually delete anything, just don't put it in the database) and make sure the file STILL RETURNS THE STRING "OK".  It needs to say OK so that the Dispatcho service knows to delete the email from the mailbox.  Basically the asp page is saying, "I've taken care of this, you can delete it now".

Michael Pryor
Fog Creek Software

Thanks for the info, it works like a charm.

Keith Bingham

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home