Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Accented characters are wrong in emails

Accenterd characters show up as "A"  in emails generated by FogBugz. It seems that only the first byte of the double byte of UTF-8 characters get into the email, making it very hard to read. The text in the database seems to be OK.

Gyula Karakas
Tuesday, February 03, 2004

This is a defect with the 3rd party mail tools we are using in the Windows version.

The unix version does not suffer from this problem.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

BTW, we're trying to find a workaround...

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

"This is a defect with the 3rd party mail tools we are using in the Windows version.

The unix version does not suffer from this problem."

Thank you, but this does not help too much... I won't change to unix for this.

Why do not use CDO to send mails? Quite easy IMHO

Gyula

Gyula Karakas
Wednesday, February 04, 2004

We're using the linux version (3.1.17) and have the same problem.

Every accented character from a incoming bugmail becomes a symbol (a diamond with a "?" inside), and then keeps that way in replies etc.

Please we find this really important to fix, as in spanish is quite common the use of accented vowels.

Angel Fradejas
Wednesday, February 04, 2004

I have to add my voice to those that would like to see this issue fixed ASAP.  I understand Dispatcho may not be able to handle it, but maybe it's time to look at yanking that component out.
For Joel to speak about software that handles Unicode (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html) and still sell software that isn't is a little hypocritical IMHO.
I deal with Asian and European customers that email to our FogBugz email accounts often and it makes my replies look rather unprofessional. 
Better POP support (like being able to leave the message in the mailbox for other archiving purposes) would also be a plus on the configuration side of things.  If Dispatcho can't handle it maybe it's time to rip it out and re-write a custom component.

Karan
Thursday, February 05, 2004

For the windows people:

Which version of FogBUGZ are you using?  I'm trying to repro this here with 3.1.9 and I can't seem to make it happen.  Can you give me repro steps?

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Friday, February 06, 2004

Looks like it isn't Dart after all.. It is Outlook.  The same UTF-8 message with chinese and spanish accent characters, sent to the same mailbox but checked with Outlook Express display perfectly fine (this is with the Windows version of FogBUGZ).

I'm researching why Outlook has this display problem now.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

Outlook has this problem because it's internal PST format is not Unicode compliant.  Outlook 2003 will work correctly but if you just let it upgrade your PST file it will still be the old non-unicode format so it won't display correctly.  You have to get Outlook 2003 to create a whole new PST file.

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software

I am quite convinced that this is not an Outlook bug as the message displays the same viewed by OE or Thunderbird (we do not use PSTs, anyway)

Gyula

Gyula Karakas
Saturday, February 07, 2004

I forgot:
FogBUGZ Version 3.1.7 (DB 328)

Gyula

Gyula Karakas

Upgrade to 3.1.9 and if it still happens, send me repro steps as I can't reproduce this behavior.

Michael Pryor
Fog Creek Software

I finally made the suggested changes (replace fogutil and edit one of the asp files) and it is OK now.

Gyula

Gyula Karakas
Friday, February 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home