Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Protecting your Products

Howdy,

I am looking at creating a product which could be considered somewhat similar to FogBUGZ (although different, it won't compete with FogBUGZ at all). The product will be written in a scripting language (ASP or PHP), which means when distributed the code will be completely visible to end users. I haven't used FogBUGZ extensively, but have a feeling it is quite similar.

If so, how do you go about protecting your products from being changed and re-distributed by your end users if the code is fully visible?

Also, how did you go about creating the EULA License for FogBUGZ and CityDesk? Does this process involve a lawyer (and a lot of money)?

Paul Stovell
Monday, January 26, 2004

I think redistribution may be covered by your EULA and/or copyright, I'm not sure.

I think Fog Creek welcome end users tailoring FogBugz to more adequately address their needs (there are lots of posts on this forum about changes to the text strings in various .asp files), though it might invalidate support contracts.

The whole application is not contained within .asp files, as I understand it there are some .dll files and otehr components, the source code to those are not distributed to the end user.

For PHP at least, you can use something like Zend Encoder to protect your php files. For ASP I guess you could move most of the functionality to components.

Anon
Monday, January 26, 2004

You can also use the MS script encoder - not un-hackable, but it does obfuscate ASP well enough.

screnc.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e7877f67-c447-4873-b1b0-21f0626a6329&languageid=f49e8428-7071-4979-8a67-3cffcb0c2524&displaylang=en

Paul Morton
Friday, March 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home