Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Any suggestions for sub-priorities?

We are trying to implement FogBUGZ and are getting a little resistance from upper management.  One of the things that they have requested is some sort of sub-priority. 

For example, assume a programmer has 5 tasks (i.e. cases) that are all priority 1.  The manager wants to be able to specify in which order these tasks are to be completed. 

I tried to explain that, within a priority, tasks can be completed in whatever order the programmer chooses - any priority 1 task is as important as any other priority 1 task.  That suggestion didn't really go over very well, they want to be able to specify the order in which tasks can be done.

I suggested an approach that involves changing priorities.  So, if the programmer has 5 priority 1 tasks and the manager wants one of those tasks to be done first, then the manager can take the other 4 tasks and change those to be priority 2 - leaving only the 1 task at priority 1.  This approach has (at least) two potential problems.

First, there isn't an easy way to assign priority en masse.  The manager would have to open each of the other 4 cases individually and assign the new priority.  This could get cumbersome (and hence would probably not be done).

Second, once the other 4 tasks are assigned as priority 2, there is no way to distinguish them from the other tasks the were already priority 2.  So, once the programmer finishes the single priority 1 task, he/she doesn't necessarily know that those 4 tasks (that were changed to priority 2) are actually more important than the other priority 2 tasks.

This lead me to think that any existing priority two tasks could be demoted to priority 3 before moving the 4 tasks from priority 1 to priority 2.  However, this has the same problem of being too cumbersome to change each task individually.

Since the same problems occur at each priority, I thought of some mechanism that would automatically demote every task by 1 priority level - so all priority 1 tasks become priority 2 tasks, and all priority 2 tasks become priority 3 tasks, and all priority 3 tasks become priority 4 tasks, and .... Obviously the base case is priority 7 - where you can't get demoted any further.  This mechanism would also have a reciprocal, where you could automatically promote all tasks by 1 priority level - so all priority 2 tasks become priority 1 tasks, and so on.

I don't know if this is a good idea or not - or if it could even be done.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?  Any other suggestions on how to handle this?

Mat
Wednesday, January 21, 2004

You could relabel the version and computer fields with something like "Severity"...

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)

That's not a bad idea.

Is that just a change in the *.asp?  Can you tell me which file to look in?

Or is the label in the database somewhere?

Mat

Also, can these fields easily be added to the Grid view.  Where in the *.asp files would I make that addition?

Mat

You would change the label in lang.asp .  All User Interface strings are in that file.

To add it to the grid view you could modify list.asp and just model it after one of the other fields, or swap it for one of them.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home