Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Delivery Failure Loops

Many times when we receive spam, the system will go into a delivery failure loop.  We'll send them a response saying that we're starting a new issue, the spam server will respond back with a message saying "nobody here by that name".  Then, our FogBUGZ server will respond to that ... ad infinitum.

Any recommendations on how to reduce this?

James Shields
Monday, January 19, 2004

I assume you've modified your code to send the auto notification that you made a new FogBUGZ case since FB doesn't do this right now.

I'm not really sure how to handle this at the moment.  You could search for the case number or some pattern to know it is a response to your auto notification... but who's to say the user themselves didn't hit reply.  You could check to see that the sender wasn't who you thought it was but sometimes users have aliases they could be using. 

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Monday, January 19, 2004

Well, it seems that FogBUGZ sends a notice to the sender when the case is resolved (as SPAM). I ran into this too -- the sender address was that of one of our mailing lists, which replied that the FogBUGZ user wasn't on the list and hence couldn't post.

This loop went on for ever, one round a minute (that's our mailbox check interval), until I catched it.

We're running a stock install.

Marko Karppinen
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

FogBUGZ doesn't send any automatic emails to non-fogbugz users... so if you resolve an incoming inquiry as SPAM it will not generate an email to the sender.  Maybe you meant a case that had been opened by a fogbugz user?  Also, the mailboxes screen prevents adding an email address there that is also a fogbugz user's email address (for this very reason).

I'm using a stock FogBUGZ, too.  We're using it for tech support.  It sends a response when someone e-mails our server.  It gets into a very nasty loop.

James Shields

The stock install of FogBUGZ does not send email to the sender of the message when it receives mail.  It DOES notify the project owner of the project if you have email notification for the owner, but I assume you can verify that this email account does exist.

A solution is suggested at http://www.cognabooks.com/failedmail/

Ray Wilson
Tuesday, April 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home