Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

aggregate duplicate emails?

How can i aggregate duplicate email messages so they don't create a new case for each instance of the message? We have a system not under our control that spews out an email every time an error is discovered. This program continues to email every 5 minutes until the problem is resolved. The subject of the email is the same for the same issue (ala "Error 49 happened to D. Nile at 2004-01-01 15:47:32"). We'd like to aggregate all these emails into one case, rather than having 20 or 30 cases for the exact same bug.

john
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

ScoutSubmit.asp does this...  See the help file for getting automatic feedback from the field, or peek at scoutsubmit.asp yourself.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Er, does scoutsubmit.asp deal with receipt of emails?

I too have a similar problem with duplicates (though not as severe).

Murph
Thursday, January 15, 2004

i'll take a look at scoutsubmit.asp, but this doesn't really solve my problem, as the bug  reports are coming from a system at a customer site that can't execute http (only email can be sent).

john

Am i correct, then, that dispatchio and/or fogbugz can't handle this aggregation?

john

Correct.  Currently only scout submissions aggregrate duplicate entries.  Dispatcho does not.

Michael H. Pryor (fogcreek)

I think e-mail aggregation is much more important because it is much more used.

Today I had a huge problem. An application started a loop and sent me more than 5000 messages with the same error!!!!!

Erick Sasse
Thursday, January 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home