Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How long did that take...

I've just been doing a review of the stuff we resolved on a particular project (so we could charge the chargeable bits) and was almost floored by the fact that the elapsed time doesn't show in the list if an item is resolved...

(Not a huge crisis - I did the obvious and knocked up a query in a copy of the MDB to get the data.)

I can see that this is sort of an each-way thing as when managing the bug/feature fix process you don't really care how long it took if its DONE. Its the analysis after the event that its needed for and perhaps that is best done elsewhere...

Murph
Thursday, March 14, 2002

Right now we recommend that you set up some simple queries using Excel Pivot Tables to keep track of schedules both during the development process and for postmortems.

(Obviously it would be great to get this feature into FogBUGZ rather than making you use Excel, however, Excel's pivot tables really are completely amazing and provide a fantastic interface to slicing-and-dicing schedule data).

Joel Spolsky
Friday, March 15, 2002

Well maybe.

But the database is not where I am which complicates things a little (and one of the reasons I got interested in the first place) and I'm not really talking about heavy analysis, just the ability to see how long things took.

murph
Monday, March 18, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home