Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Using FogBUGZ with a large number of projects

Has anyone used FogBUGZ with a lot of current projects?  I'm curious about how well it scales.  We are evaluating this for our custom dev/consulting shop.  We typically have around 20-30 projects open to some extent at any given time.

Does anyone have any experience using it with a large number of projects?  What have been your experiences?

Glen Cooper
Friday, January 02, 2004

It works fine. I've got 14 projects in my FogBUGZ database, and there's no real problem managing it all.

If I absolutely had to pick a fault with using FogBUGZ for multiple projects, I'd nominate two things:

(1) I'd like to see a sense of "customer" sitting on top of "project". The current two-tier classification (project, area) is great, but as a small company that has several long-term customers with multiple projects it would be great to be able to tie a series of projects to a sense of customer.

(2) In line with projects belonging to customers, I'd like to be able to restrict users to only seeing certain projects. I have 4 FogBUGZ users accounts that have been paid for by developers at customer sites: they're used for bug tracking on some joint development projects. Right now, every customer can see every other customer's projects and bugs. My customers are all ok with this right now, and accept that there's nothing I can do about it, but it really would be good to restrict each user to only having access to the projects and bugs that are relevant to them.

Andrew Lighten
Saturday, January 03, 2004

Joel,
Could you respond to this -- we also would strongly recommend a third tier in the hierarchy, above project/area --

Susan Schwartz
Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Hi!

Grouping projects and project permissions are our highest priority feature for 4.0; we hear this a lot.

Joel Spolsky
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, February 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home